Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Give me some color!

We have a lot of brown in our house. Brown couch, brown coffee table, wood floors, brown kitchen cabinets....

I finally decided to add some color to our house. I think pops of color can boost your mood and even make a space appear more welcoming. I get intimidated by matching colors and patterns. I don't think I have a good eye for it. But I dove in!

First I made my own pillow case covers. They are removable, so I can change them up when I get bored. I had a few pillows at home, and I bought 2 pillow inserts at Joann's Fabric. They are so easy to make! This video explains it pretty well.




We don't have any lamps in our house, so I thought what a great way to add color. I bought this lamp and the shade (not pictured) for $8 at a thrift store.  


I had trouble deciding what color looked best. I panted the lamp yellow first and left the shade white. It was just too much. Then I painted it gray leaving a few yellow strips. Didn't like that either. This is what is looks like now. I still might add fabric to the shade instead of the yellow.


At the thrift store I also found this wood basket for $2 and this frame for $3. The color on the frame wasn't too pretty, but I knew when I spray painted it, the design on the frame would really stand out. 


The basket has been transformed into a red toy box for the dogs.  


I bought the frame specifically for a vintage hat advertisement that I bought a few months ago. It fit perfectly and is now hanging in the bathroom. I love it! 


I also found this candle holder at a thrift store. It was an ugly brass/rusty color. When I first bought it I painted it white, but now it is a beautiful red!


My other recent thrift store finds include this rusty/antique looking lantern ($3) and 3 chinese bowls. I grabbed the bowls as soon as the staff put them on the shelf right next to me. I think I paid $7 for all three. They are beautiful and have chinese markings on the bottom. 






1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! I think you did an AMAZZZZING job on the pillows! I realllllly love them! Like TONS! I've been trying to do better on incorporating color into my home.. Everything is brown! But I'm venturing out and trying to step out of my comfort zone and mix stuff up a bit.. So far, it's really fun... I'm sure nothing matches in my house, but I honestly don't even care.. LOL I really like the yellow and gray lamp.. Do you just spray paint them or do you use some kind of acrylic paint.. I want to try a spray painting project, sounds like fun!

    ♥,
    Janette

    Janette Lane Blog

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say! Thanks for taking the time to share!